Syniadau
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James I of England

Go down

James I of England Empty James I of England

Post  tungduong_9102 Fri 5 Nov 2010 - 20:03

James VI & I (19 June 1566 – 27 March 1625) was King of Scots as James VI from 24 July 1567. On 24 March 1603, he also became King of England and Ireland as James I when he inherited the English crown and thereby united the Crowns of the Kingdoms of Scotland and England (each country remained legally separate though both ruled by James). James VI & I continued to hold both crowns until his death in 1625, but based himself in England (the larger of the two realms) from 1603.

He became King of Scotland when he was just thirteen months old, succeeding his mother Mary, Queen of Scots, who had been compelled to abdicate in his favour. Four different regents governed during his minority, which ended officially in 1578, though he did not gain full control of his government until 1581.[1] In 1603, he succeeded the last Tudor monarch of England and Ireland, Elizabeth I, who died without issue.[2] He then ruled England, Scotland, and Ireland for 22 years, often using the title King of Great Britain, until his death at the age of 58.[3] James, in line with other monarchs of England of the time, also claimed the title King of France, although he did not actually rule France.

Under James, the "Golden Age" of Elizabethan literature and drama continued, with writers such as William Shakespeare, John Donne, Ben Jonson, and Sir Francis Bacon contributing to a flourishing literary culture.[4] James himself was a talented scholar, the author of works such as Daemonologie (1597), True Law of Free Monarchies (1598), and Basilikon Doron (1599).[5] Sir Anthony Weldon claimed that James had been termed "the wisest fool in Christendom", an epithet associated with his character ever since.[6]

übersetzer Deutsch Englisch
business protection insurance

tungduong_9102

Back to top Go down